Archive for the ‘Hitchcock Genealogy’ Category
by Sherry Stocking Kline
February 19, 2012
It’s Saturday Night! (well, an hour ago it was!) Time to play the Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Game with Randy Seaver at GeneaMusings.com
It’s Saturday Night again – time for some more Genealogy Fun!!
Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) What year was your paternal grandfather born? Divide this number by 100 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your “roulette number.”
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an “ahnentafel”). Who is that person?
3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the “roulette number.”
4) Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook status or a Google Stream post, or as a comment on this blog post.
5) If you do not have a person’s name for your “roulette number” then spin the wheel again – pick a grandmother, or yourself, a parent, a favorite aunt or cousin, or even your children!
My paternal grandfather, Elmer Leverett Stocking, was born in 1879. Divide that by 100, and you get 18.79, rounded up to 19.
So, I went to my family tree program, used the Ahnentafel program, and there she was, my #19.
19. Hannah “Juline” BROOKS: born 29 May 1839 in Williamstown, MA; died 4 Jan 1899 in 6712 Wabash, Chicago, Cook Co., Il..
Hannah “Juline” Brooks married Edward Hitchcock 18 Sept 1856 in Davenport, Scott County, IA, and died in Chicago while visiting her son. Juline was my Great-grandmother, Frances “Fanny” Hitchcock’s mother.
Fanny married my great-grandfather, Roderick Remine Stocking in Crescent City, Iroquois County, Illinois, on 3 May 1876, and they moved to Kansas shortly afterwards where they homesteaded in Sumner County, Kansas. My paternal grandfather, Elmer Leverett, was Fanny and Roderick’s first born. Frances, Roderick, and Elmer are all buried in the Osborne Cemetery near Mayfield, Sumner County, Kansas.
19 October 2011
Shown below is a copy of a photograph that my cousin, Larry, shared with me from their family’s collection. It shows my great-aunt, Myrtle (Nyberg) Stocking (Larry’s grandmother), with her mother, Mary, her father-in-law Roderick Remine Stocking, and her children, Wilmer, and the twins Max and Maxine.
I can’t begin to tell my cousin Larry how grateful I am that he shared these photographs with me, and allowed me to add numerous photos of our shared ancestry into my own family tree!