Archive for November 19th, 2009
Sherry Stocking Kline
November 19, 2009
This photograph is of Margaret “Maggie” (Corson) McGinnis taken on her 100th Birthday, January 19th, 1949. The photograph was taken at her daughter’s home, Maud McGinnis Stocking, in Cedarvale, Chautauqua County, Kansas.
The chubby little urchin sitting on Maggie’s lap is myself, Sherry Stocking.
Great-grandma McGinnis died on March 26, 1950, and I do not remember her. How I wish I did! She is buried at Osborne Cemetery, in Sumner County near Mayfield, Kansas.
These past few days a really nice award has been circling among the Genealogy Bloggers! I don’t know who started the “tag you’re it” award that allows each of us to pick our seven favorite blogs to receive it, but I’m certainly grateful to be nominated three times! Thank you!
I received this Kreativ Blogger award from three of my favorite bloggers to read:
Thomas McAtee from Geneabloggers,
Louise Bernero of Our Twigs Blog,
and Jenna from Desperately Seeking Surnames
I just want to say Thank You all very much!
I appreciate your recognition and encouragement, and this means a lot to me!
Here are the rules for this award:
1. List seven things about yourself that others do not know
2. Copy the award to your site
3. Link to the person from whom you received the award
4. Nominate 7 other bloggers.
5. Link to those sites on your blog.
6. Leave a message on the blogs you nominate.
There’s only one thing I can think of that most people don’t know about me. It’s silly ( it really is, but it’s the truth).
For the other six things, well, I’m pretty sure those aren’t a secret to those who know me best….
1. The one thing I think no one knows, not even my family, so you’re the first to hear this… I’m honestly still scared of the dark… Maybe it’s the murder mysteries I read, but I’m just pretty sure the boogeyman is out there somewhere, and who knows, maybe Big Foot really does exist, and maybe the government really was hiding Space Aliens in Area 51. So, ask me to run outside after dark, haul out the trash, or go out to feed the dog, well, I can and I will, but it’s really outside my comfort zone. And I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood.
2. I’d rather read than clean house or wash dishes. (this would come as no surprise to anyone in my family!) I love murder mysteries, historical fiction, some romantic historical fiction, all the “Mitford Series” books by Jan Karon, and anything by Max Lucado.
3. O.K., so this is no secret to anyone, either. I love the puzzle-solving, gotta-find-the-next-family-fact, break-down-that-brick-wall, collect ‘dead relatives,’ build the family tree, and record our family history stories that makes up my family history fun.
4. I love garage sales! (Going to them, not having them) Which means I bring home more stuff than I get rid of. Which means I’m a pack rat. (it’s genetic, my mom is a pack rat, too, but a much more organized one than I am…)
5. I love to take photos. And I’d love to learn how to Photoshop them.
6. I’m a sucker for a cat with a sweet face and a hungry sounding meow. That’s probably why we’ve had two extra cats on our porch for the last year. Sinbad, the black and white ‘tuxedo’ cat that has everyone from the mail lady to the UPS guy stopping to pet him, and Boo, a beautiful long-haired Siamese type that has a ‘rusty’ meow.
7. I cry E-v-e-r-y time I watch “A League of Their Own”, even if we just watched it. It gets down to the last scene, the reunion scene, and I’m grabbing for the Kleenex box…
There are so many great Blogs, and so many new ones! Thanks to all who inspire me, and here are my Seven Blog Awards!
It was such fun to be awarded, and to be given the opportunity to leave an award for others! But it was difficult to just pick seven, there are so many wonderful blogs to choose from!